Saturday, January 28, 2012

Made to Worship



I was made to worship ~ made to worship him with all my heart, mind and soul ~ made to worship his goodness and grace. We often talk about worship, but really what does it mean to worship a God so great and awesome?



Oswald Chambers wrote, "The one thing for which we are all being disciplined is to know that God is real. Nothing is more important. Nothing is more rewarding than discovering that God is everything he said he is: all-powerful, sovereign, yet tender and compassionate, accepting of us in our fragile state, and desiring with all his heart to bring us to rest in him." When we know that God is real it is easy to worship him. How can one not worship a God who is as real as the rising sun, the majestic mountains, the brilliant full moon, a sweet summer rain, a precious newborn baby or birds chirping in the trees. God has made everything beautiful and wonderful and he gives us so many reasons to be thankful and to worship him.



Worship is a call to sacrifice. A call to sacrifice "self" and drop to our knees to give praise to him. To put all things great and small before him. To take the focus off of us and our wants and needs and to simply praise him for his greatness and wonder and the blessings he bestows upon on us. Worship engages us deeply and connects us with our holy Father like nothing else can. I find it easiest to worship my Father in the majestic wonder he has created. For me there is nothing like the feeling I get when I am on a mountain top, a trail or somewhere in the great outdoors. The beauty of His creation all around me gives me a sense of utter closeness to God. Maybe it is because I find it easier to put him first without all of the jumbled clutter of life I find when I am home. The "busy"-ness of life and all that it brings can get in the way and quickly make "me" seem more important than the worship that should take place.



On a lighter note, I chuckle as I write. I had the opportunity to spend one on one time with my son this evening. He was feeling a little under the weather and wanted to hang out with his mom. :) After watching a sci-fi movie together, he requested that we read the bible. Since I am currently going through a study of James, I suggested we do today's lesson together. I love the mind of my soon to be teenage boy. He always makes me laugh ~ even in the midst of a bible lesson. As we were discussing Jesus being perfect and the kind of relationship he had with his mother and brothers, my son remarked about the "worship" of our savior. How crazy odd it would seem for a mother (Mary) to worship her son, Jesus. While chatting about this he quickly noted though that I could worship him if I wanted to. Silly boy ... such a boy!



It is the sweet spirit of that same boy that often reminds me of the importance of God and the worship that must take place for me to have a right and intimate relationship with the one who made me. As I tucked my son into bed, I gave praise to God for the blessing of this sweet boy, two precious daughters and a loving husband. These gifts of mine are more than enough reason for me to worship my heavenly Father and sing praises to his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment